Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Great Build-Up

 HOW LONG IS TOO LONG?!



I could become philosophical and talk about all the twists and turns throughout a writing journey but there is no need for that for in this blog entry. I have a question, but first let me explain what is going.

 I am working on something very important to me. Matter of fact, the book is already written (the bare bones of it) but now is that stage where I go in and fix any 'untied shoes', sharpen scenes and toil over if I really want the character to tell me what to do before this goes off to the editor to be ripped to shreds. Okay, I exaggerated about that last part...

She doesn't rip it to shreds, but there is a black eye or two...

Okay so here we are and I am debating with something...wrestling, fighting like two hookers over a high-paying rich john and I truly would appreciate my reader and fans input.


How fast do you need for the couple in the story to 'get together' before you become done and done? 

 Now typically, this isn't a struggle for me. I allow a reasonable lead-up, except for a couple of my stories that warranted otherwise because the characters NEEDED to fit the scene and the scene fit them so delaying the inevitable for them would have been unnecessary to the story. However, that is not the case here. There is a lot background info. needed because this is a psychological suspense thriller that just happens to be EROTIC ROMANCE. Yeah...one of those 'all inclusive' bits...

It is a very challenging piece, and it would be unrealistic for the two to simply jump in the sack, let alone kiss right away, however, this is taking quite some time...more than I thought it would. I have to be true to my characters, my image of the story, and my art. That is what comes first because if I change that - then it is not my story anymore, it is someone else's who isn't writing it, but simply wants to orchestrate from the sidelines. (I will get into that pet peeve later in a different blog entry...)


 

So...I am inviting you in...how long is TOO long even though (in my opinion) the story is moving along rather rapidly and important pieces are being laid out beforehand. It is a lengthy book, so when we DO GET THERE, it isn't rushed along and it is RIGHT - It is sensual, electric and authentic. (Yeah, you'll be the judge of that, right? lol) 


Anyway, I felt compelled to take my time with this - there are sensitive issues going on as well, in the story, so that is another reason why I have a full 'background' check of the two main characters - I am allowing you as the reader to see what they are doing IN THE MOMENT (These are 'live' shots) not a bunch of past reminiscing, etc.

So...please let me know your thoughts. I want to open the flood gates and ask you,

"Can you hang on for awhile or is this something that irritates you, OR is this the type of thing you relish, because you really want to know the characters and want them to develop before jumping in the sack."

As Monica said, "I don't get down on the first night..." LOL





Let a me know...

Sincerely,


Tiana Laveen


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiana,
    I know this post is old and you're probably referring to your latest, Addicted in Cold Blood, which is already out, but I feel compelled to share an opinion on this b/c I've taken note of this exact topic - but as a reader, not an author. I've noticed that couples typically get together in romance novels right around the 30-35% mark in my e-reader. There is much development left for the characters though. Usually, something happens and people "slip up" or just can't help themselves...then there is back-tracking as to whether or not they really should be together. So there is the initial release, then more plot and character building, then the togetherness happens. I've also read books where the couple doesn't get together intimately until 50%. I knew it was coming and other things were going on, so it kept my attention and it wasn't so bad, but I felt the burn. I really needed them together. So for me, anywhere before 50% of a story has been told is good, as long as the storyline warrants it (keeps my attention).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your reply. I am at home with a tissue in one hand and an axe to grind in the other. In other words, I am being kicked from here to Kingdom Come due to a nasty sinus infection that has me tied to the bed and you've given me something to do besides feel sorry for myself, so for that 'unknown', thank you!

    I thank you for your input and I understand completely what you are saying. Yes, I was referring to Addicted In Cold Blood and if you've read it, I am assuming you did based on your first two sentences, this was a sensitive situation and no woman in her right mind would willingly give this man her cookies, no matter how attractive and sexy he was, just like that. lol Not only that, I wanted you, as the reader, to see the relationship forming so that it made sense why it happened and the way that it happened. That is important to me as a writer and it wasn't a struggle until I was writing this story. In the end, I stuck to my guns and tried to make sure that when the intimacy did start, it became more and more intense so that the reader would see the relationship still growing, even after the first, second, third, etc. encounter.

    Thanks for weighing in!

    ReplyDelete